Wednesday, August 26, 2009

End of summer news...

We have a just a couple things going on as we wrap up summer and get ready for the fall season here at Cork’s We will be making our annual pilgrimage down to Buzzard’s Bay Brewery on Thursday, August 27th. We’ve talked about this for a few weeks now and there are details on the website. The weather is supposed to be great and this is always a lot of fun...oh yea…did I mention they have “Cornhole”? The Cork’s crew is leaving around 4:30 if anybody is interested in tagging along.

It seems like I haven’t done a Friday night wine tasting myself in forever, so I’m finding some hits of Summer 09” and putting them together for an end of season sampling. We will start with a brand new Albarino from Montecillo. This Spanish varietal goes perfect with any shellfish (yes even Bridgette’s new hermit crabs). Next up are 2 delicious Rose Wines, Chateau Virgile from France and Prado Rey from Spain. I think these are both great “Summer Blush” wines and an excellent choice when it’s just to hot to pop open your favorite red. Probably the most requested wine of the summer was Sangria (I know…I was surprised as well) both the ready to drink kind, and tons of questions about what wine to use when making Sangria. So we will chill down, and twist open La Casita Sangria for you to try. Next is a gem I found on my visit to Long Island a few weeks ago. It’s Palmer 2004 Merlot from the North Fork of LI. As I’ve stated many times, I’m not really a fan of the varietal but this drinks like a $25 Cab or dare I say even a Bordeaux. We will finish with a wine that only comes out once a year and is very limited. Bogle Phantom is a blend of Petite Sirah, Old Vine Zinfandel, and Old Vine Mourvedre. It is big… and dark… and spicy…and is the perfect wine for grilled steaks or BBQ ribs!

We won’t do any tastings next week as we get ready for our 5th Annual Kick-Off Beer tasting. The date for that is Saturday, September 12th from 2:30 to 5 PM. Josh is putting the finishing touches on the lineup and I promise more info next week on this huge event. So as the Sox make a push for the playoffs…. the Pat’s wrap up their pre-season….the summer concert season wraps up…and we get ready for the Deutsche Bank Golf Tournament… be sure to stop in Cork’s for all your end of Summer beverage needs. Have a great weekend!

Robert

No comments: